Welcome to a new world. I know it’s daunting and it’s not a world you chose but don’t worry it gets easier. When I first started out my shopping took hours longer. It still takes longer than a normal pre allergy shop but again it gets easier when you get familiar with what you need.
My top products for your first dairy free shop are:
- A milk alternative – we use almond and coconut milk
- A butter alternative – we use Pure dairy free sunflower
- Rich Tea Biscuits
- Coconut macaroons
- Hovis Best of Both bread – it’s fortified with extra calcium
- Readybrek – again fortified with calcium
- Innocent fruit smoothie tubes
- Violife cheese
- Dairy free ice cream or sorbet
- Dairy free chocolate or dark chocolate
There are lots of other products I have discovered along the way and I will share these with you along the way. Please bear in mind my children have a non IgE allergy and can cope with products that are made in a factory that has handled milk. DS1 can also cope with soya, DS2 reacts to soya but is beginning to tolerate some amounts of it. The products I have listed do not cause a reaction in my kids but please check the labels to see if the ingredients suit your own needs.